A New Entry Every Sunday!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 33 - Why?


"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Learn Critical Thinking Skills in 100 Easy Lessons?" Sammie asked. "What kind of book is this?"

"The one from our Critical Thinking Skills workshop, remember?" Judy said with a yawn.

"Even if they are easy lessons, I don't have time to teach one hundred of them, do you/" Sammie knew she sounded negative, but she was tired of being told what to teach and how.

"Did anyone think critically about including this in our daily lessons?"

"Doubt it," Judy said.

"I have an idea. Let's figure out a way to encourage critical thinking without using this book," Sammie suggested.

"You don't need to tell me," Judy explained. "I've always taught my students to think about why they do what they do, and how to use what they learn in their everyday lives. It's a matter of attitude."

Sammie realized that Judy didn't need this textbook. But at the same time, she knew that she did. "How can I have that attitude?" Sammie questioned.

Judy could see that Sammie was serious now. Concern was written all over her face. "You already do, just by asking the question 'why.' They key is to encourage your students to do the same."

To think critically is not being critical - it's being smart.

Prompt: A 'why' in my life that I am pondering is. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment